|The Yin and Yang
In the lunar calendar, the day begins at 11 p.m. and the twenty-four hours are divided into twelve sections of two hours each. Each section is ruled by one of the animal signs. The sign which rules the time of birth is the ascendant and shapes the personality, too. Its influence can be very strong. For example, an aggressive mouse person may prove to have been born between 3 and 5 a.m., the hours of the Tiger; on the other hand, a quiet mouse person was probably born between 9 and 11 a.m., the hours governed by the cool influence of the Snake.
The Twelve Signs and Their Hours
The Twelve Signs and Their Hours
Brief introduction about the lunar year and the Five Elements
The lunar year is divided into twelve months of 29? days. Every two and a half years, an intercalary month is added to adjust the calendar. The addition of this month every third year produces the Lunar Leap Year. For easy reference, the beginning of each lunar month is the date of the New Moon marked on the Western calendar.
The Chinese lunar calendar
The Chinese lunar calendar is the longest chronological record in history, dating from 2637 B.C. when the first cycle of the zodiac was introduced. One complete cycle takes 60 years and is made up of five simple cycles of 12 years each.
The People's Republic of China is a unified, multi-national country, comprising of 56 nationalities. The Han people make up 91.02 percent of the total population, leaving 8.98 percent for the other 55 ethnic minorities.
China Philosophy & Religion (1)
If there be righteousness in the heart, there will be beauty in the character. If there is beauty in the character there will be harmony in the home. If there is harmony in the home, there will be order in the nation. When there is order in each nation there will be peace in the world.
China Philosophy & Religion (2)
The Chinese word tao (pronounced "dao") means a way or a path. Confucians used the term tao to speak of the way human beings ought to behave in society. In other words, tao, for them, was an ethical or moral way. From the point of view of Taoism however, the Confucian concept of tao was too limited. Taoists preferred to understand the tao as the Way of Nature as a whole. They believed that Confucians, by insisting on a purely human Way, exaggerated the importance of man and failed to pay attention to the lessons which Nature has to offer about time and change, gain and loss, the useful and the useless.
China Philosophy & Religion (3)
Although Buddhism first entered China from India during the Later Han, in the time of Han Ming Ti (AD 58-76), it did not become popular until the end of the 3rd century. The prevailing disorders, aggravated by barbarian invasions and the flight of northern Chinese to the south, heightened the attraction of Buddhism with its promise of personal salvation, despite its lack of affinity with the society-oriented thought of the Chinese.
Chinese Festivals and Holidays
The Chinese observe a wide variety of traditional and modern holidays, based both on the lunar and solar calendars. The traditional Chinese calendar was based on a lunar cycle-- that is, dates following the regular appearance of the full moon.
People often have the impression that Chinese characters are extremely difficult to learn. In fact, if you were to attempt to learn how to write Chinese characters, you would find that they are not nearly as difficult as you may have imagined. And they certainly qualify as forming one of the most fascinating, beautiful, logical and scientifically constructed writing systems in the world. Each stroke has its own special significance. If you are familiar with the principles governing the composition of Chinese characters, you will find it very easy to remember even the most complicated looking character and never miss a stroke.
China Fast Facts
Each year China welcomes thousands of English-speaking students, teachers, scientists, artists, business men and women, and tourists who come to China to study, teach, perform, exchange ideas, engage in trade and business or just to sightsee. The following offers a fast and ready reference of basic China facts as a guide for visitors and others.
China is one of the biggest countries in the world. It has an area of about 9.6 million square kilometers which comprises about 6.5 per cent of the world total land area. Its population of more than one billion accounts for 23 per cent of the world's population. China is the world's oldest continuous civilization. World Travel Organization predicts that by year 2020, China will become the number one travel destination in the world.
The Education System in China
The education system in China is somewhat different than we are used to in the western world and we will in this article guide you through the various steps that is the Chinese school.